Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Simple vertical herb garden

I want to plant few herbs but separate from my regular vegetable garden and by my patio so I can attend it regularly or won't take over my veggie garden (like mints do). They are aromatic and help mosquitoes or gnats away from pestering me while sitting on my porch or patio :). For these, I built a simple rack from scraps left from my projects and used small baskets as pots.

 

The rack can be moved easily anywhere in the yard and baskets are hanged so can also be moved in and out of the house if necessary (for cooking, display, etc.).

My very simple and quick steps:

Make the back L frame.

Attach third piece to form right triangle and brace for the shelves.

Connect two triangles by attaching bottom shelf pieces.

And the top piece. Complete the rack by adding boards and screws or hangers for baskets. Paint to protect from weather.

While waiting for the paint to dry, prepare the plants. I used landscape fabric before adding dirt in the baskets, helps prevent soil from washing away especially on basket with big holes.

Hang your good smelling herbs!


I added some plants that needs constant watering and for quicker access.
 
can be moved anywhere you want


I have herb dill, sage pineapple, orange mint, English lavender, chives, green onion, garlic, cilantro, parsley and with these are strawberries and spinach. I want to add lemon grass and more.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. HI WHAT SIZES OF WOOD DO I BUY AND WHAT DEMENSIONS DO I CUT DO MAKE FRAME

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to build the exact one I got, you can use 1X3's for all part except for the bottom(foot) which need to be bigger so use 2X4's. For the two right triangles, the long part measures 52", the 2nd longest is 49" and the shortest side (bottom) is 18".

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brand is well-known for fast deals, but even more so known for unbeatable prices. It's hard to top Flash Furniture in style or price, which is why they are one of the best brands to shop from this holiday season. How to attract a Capricorn woman

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brand is well-known for fast deals, but even more so known for unbeatable prices. It's hard to top Flash Furniture in style or price, which is why they are one of the best brands to shop from this holiday season. SEO

    ReplyDelete